Saturday, April 11, 2015

The Essence of The Hobby




Minden Miniatures from the collection of Charles S. Grant. One could spend hours gazing on this tableau.


I found this paragraph on Barry Hilton's League of Augsburg blog:

League of Augsburg Blog

***********
I work on the assumption that some of the emotions and thoughts I experience are common to several, perhaps thousands of others. When I am working on a wargaming project or painting a range of figures I get a very deep sense of engagement with the activity. It is all I can think about. In idle time I am making lists and planning what to buy and paint next. I search out information, make little painting schedules, all the time trying to beat my self imposed targets. I look at the models again and again, set them up in rows, watch the collection accrue into something more substantial and marvel at the sense of joy I obtain from doing it all. I often tell myself it's the best work I have ever done.

-- Barry Hilton


**************

1) Getting a deep sense of engagement with the activity-- Guilty as charged. Once I start on a project I get very focused and zero in on the project to the exclusion of other historical periods. If my home library lacks books on the subject, I start firing off orders to Ken Trotman or On Military Matters or Caliver Books to remedy the short fall.

2) In idle time, I am making lists and planning what to buy and paint next -- Yep, that too. I have a one hour train commute to and from my job and I often find myself pulling a small Moleskin journal out of my briefcase and start drawing up army lists and orders of battle and deciding how many figures should go into a battalion, etc.

3) I search out information, make little painting schedules, all the time trying to beat my self imposed targets -- my journal has lists of painting schedules. For example, if my new army will have 12 foot and 4 cavalry units in it, then I jot down a weekly or monthly painting schedule to figure out when my new army will be completed.

4) I look at the models again and again, set them up in rows -- This has developed into a very bad habit. I will set the troops out onto the game table for either a review or for an actual game. I will move around the table examining the various units, stooping down so that my eyes are at table level for the best view of the regiment. I can do this for an hour or more. It becomes a problem if I pay a visit to the game table late at night, and before I know it, the clock reads 1 or 2 am in the morning. It can make for a tiring day the next day. Lots of coffee or Diet Coke are the only remedy. Kids, do not attempt to do this at home on your own.

5) watch the collection accrue into something more substantial and marvel at the sense of joy I obtain from doing it all -- This is the fun part, watching the army grow. At first it is only one regiment of infantry. Impressive but lonely. Then a second and third unit are completed and I now have a brigade. Once the brigade is ready, I will paint a couple of field artillery pieces and crew. Then one brigade becomes two brigades. Now the project begins to look like a Wargame army. I can see light at the end of the tunnel and develop a sense of what the final product will look like.

I think that Barry's paragraph correctly encapsulates what the planning and building aspect of the hobby are all about. We all make our little lists and while away spare time thinking and day dreaming about the whole thing.

It brings to me a sense of calm, contentment and accomplishment and sometimes I actually think that this part of the hobby is more enjoyable than the gaming part.

What do you think? Please feel free to add a comment at the bottom of this thread and let me know what you think. 

15 comments:

  1. Well put, Jim. And very similar to my own (of late paltry) efforts. It's about "the look of the thing" first and foremost for me followed closely by reading whatever I can get my hands on about the period/society/conflict(s) in question. But the figures and scenery (highly realistic or even stylized) are the most important part of all this in my view.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comments.I concur with much you have said. I too use a moleskin to jot down ideas or my Dodo Pad /Diary. The planning and imagineering has passed difficult times of waiting in hospitals etc. It has diverted the mind and suggested projects one day to work upon in easier times...
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should have a Moleskin journal. They are a wonderful thing to have.

      Delete
  3. Not to mention passed time on the daily commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also agree, as I imagine most of our little niche would. I too have an hour commute on the train, and I find myself reading rules, making notes, and wishing I could do some painting on the train. :)

      One thing I do not do is the painting schedule. I prefer not to set myself up for disaster!

      Delete
    2. Hey, just because I write down a schedule doesn't mean that I actually stick to it. :)

      I usually fail at that, but it is a fun exercise to do and an enjoyable "time waster". (Note to self, do a blog thread about "time wasters" in the future).

      Delete
  4. guilty on all counts with the added factor that I often (ok, always) find it hard to stop at the planned numbers for each and every army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember a single time when I started an army by saying, "I'm just going to do this as a skirmish set up with only a few figures" AND THEN ACTUALLY STICKING TO THE SKIRMISH IDEA. LOL!

      Delete
  5. That paragraph really hit home. Described me perfectly. One additional aspect I find in my own self-analysis is that I am constantly also looking for ways to come up with something that makes my collection unusual or unique - some vignette or other aspect that doesn't come off the shelf, but has to be planned out and converted/constructed. Excellent paragraph, though, very astute and accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People such as Barry Hilton, Phil Olley and John Ray have really set the bar when it comes to "vignettes" and given us ideas on how to do it in our own collections.

      Delete
  6. Excellent post Jim and some very familiar thoughts and processes described. I would, however, be meeting more of my targets if you your blog wasn't so distracting! :-)

    Really good post mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very insightful post; descibes me as well. The research, aquisition and painting of the figures is all important. And since stumbling in here in 2007, I know whom to thank for my still growing SYW Armies! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and I am "guilty as charged" on most counts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is indeed worrying the amount of time I spend thinking about and planning various wargames activities. These days I find the prospect of creating new armies from scratch too daunting - painting itself feels more like work than my actual work. But developing scenarios, reading about the period, thinking about rules, and the odd bit of painting to 'fill out the corners' of a collection are a great comfort against life's worries and a fine way to relax and clear the mind. Though in the end I do think it's about the games themselves and time spent with like-minded friends.

    ReplyDelete