Thursday, September 27, 2012

AWI British Artillery

British Artilleryman and Matross, circa 1775 - painting by Don Troiani

I found this painting on Don Troiani's web site today and find it interesting for a number of reasons. For  starters, it depicts the "regulation" uniform of the Royal Artillery at the time of the American Revolution. You don't often get to see the reverse view of a figure so it is great to see how the leather cartridge box attaches to the belting (and that the cover is white leather).

I also like the ammo wagons in the background. I have seen a picture of a similar wagon at Fort Ligonier, Pennsylvania and perhaps Mr. Troiani modeled his representation on the reproduction wagon at that site. You can see the royal cypher stenciled onto the cover of the wagon and the "basket weave" sides of the wagon are also of interest to me.

If you want to see more Troiani pictures, then click on the link below. But be careful, you will find yourself spending at least an hour there looking at all of the wonderful historical prints.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really have much interest in the American War of Independence, but Troiani is always worth looking at. He always had good composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Co-incientally I'm looking at my huge unpainted 6mm AWI armies and thinking I need to get cracking with them. The picture acts as a small nudge for me to get cracking!

    ReplyDelete