Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Getting Old

Der Alte Fritz is really feeling very old today as arthritis seems to have chosen this moment to rear its ugly head once again. This time I have shooting pains in my right wrist, which puts a little bit of a crimp in my painting. It will eventually go away and come again on another day. Usually it hits me in the back sometime in January. It must have something to do with the Winter Solstice. I will keep it short this evening as hitting the shift key on the keyboard hurts a little bit.

I am currently working on the third squadron of the DR3 von Irwing Dragoons for my 1806 Project. Some of the gang are coming over to my home on Boxing Day so that we can give the BAR Napoleonic rules another playtest. I blocked in the blue coats, grey on the breeches and dark red brown on the faces and probably have another evening's worth of color blocking before I can start some highlighting. I have to get these figures done before Friday so that I have time to terrain the bases.

6 comments:

  1. A friend assures me that arthritis is particularly aggravated by painting Napoleonic troops . . . which may or may not be true (this friend stretches the truth upon occasion).

    Still it might be healthier to paint some WAS or SYW troops . . . as a test of my friend's theory if nothing else.

    But on a more serious note, I have some arthritis too and I sympathize with you. May a change in the weather precipitate a welcome change in your joints.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mate I think you just need to move to Oz temp today a balmy 30 degrees Celcius!

    Merry Christmas mate and have a prosperous new year.

    Cheers
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Fritz,

    Old or not, thank you for so much inspiration over the years. You are one of the very best 'voices' in the hobby.

    Best Wishes

    Theo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liebe Alte,

    Sorry to hear your arthritis is acting up - probably worsened by operating under several meters (about 6 feet for non-metric colonial types) of snow. Move to Down Under and enjoy(???) 38C until Christmas day, when it promises to be a wet and wild 24C. I hope it doesn't cramp your painting and blogging - the wisdom and wit of Der Alte will surely be needed over the Festive Season.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    Doc
    http://docsartofwar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your pains go away soon. Here's wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    I look forward to another year of inspirational postings!

    GregS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain Jim, literally ;-) Had it myself now for several years, though mainly in the knees, hips and lower back. And this unusal North Texas white Christmas certainly isn't helping. But I did finally get to use my cane with the "ice tip" on it, works great! The only thing worse than getting old is the alternative.

    Have a great Holiday, and my best to the Family, especially Lady Emma. Might we be treated to another Clash of the Bears anytime soon? May you all have a wonderful Holiday and New Year.

    Bill and Family

    ReplyDelete